Thankfully, when dental issues arise in your family, you don’t have to fix them alone! So how can Aberdeen Dental Group partner with your family to treat various dental issues?
Fixing tooth damage or decay:
- Fillings, bondings, or veneers are used for minor tooth restoration. The surface of the tooth is cleaned and prepared and a tooth-colored composite resin is applied to damaged surfaces and hardened with an ultraviolet light or a laser. The resin creates a tight, superior fit that restores the tooth to nearly its original strength.
- If you have a broken tooth or severe decay, you may need a crown. Crowns are synthetic caps, usually made of a material like porcelain, placed on the top of a tooth. They are typically used to restore a tooth’s function and appearance and to provide lasting stability to the area. Crowns strengthen a weak or damaged tooth while also preserving its aesthetic beauty.
- Then there’s that option that no one likes to talk about: a root canal! Root canals are tiny passageways that branch off from beneath the top of the tooth, coursing their way vertically downward, until they reach the tip of the root. Many tooth problems involve infections that spread to the pulp, which is the inner chamber of the tooth containing blood vessels, nerves and other tissues. When the infection becomes worse, it can begin affecting the roots. Root canal therapy is a remarkable treatment with a very high rate of success, and involves removing the diseased tissue, halting the spread of infection, and restoring the healthy portion of the tooth.
- When a tooth is too damaged or decayed to be repaired, we may need to perform a tooth extraction and help you discover which tooth replacement alternative works best for you.
- Implants are a long-lasting solution for missing teeth. Artificial roots are connected to the jawbone and hold a replacement tooth that has been custom-fitted to your jaw.
- A bridge is a tooth replacement alternative to implants. The teeth on either side of the space are covered with crowns and a false tooth is suspended between them. Because they are custom made, bridges are barely noticeable and can restore the natural contour of teeth as well as the proper bite relationship between upper and lower teeth. Sometimes, depending on the exact location in the mouth, we can install an implant-bridge combination. Every situation is different, and we are committed to finding the best treatment option for you!
- We can also help fit you for dentures. Dentures are removable replacements for missing teeth and adjacent tissues. A denture is made of acrylic resin, sometimes in combination with various metals. Complete dentures replace all the teeth, while a partial denture fills in the spaces created by missing teeth and prevents other teeth from changing position. The denture process takes about one month and five appointments (initial diagnosis, impressions and measurements, temporary placement to ensure proper fit, permanent denture placement, final follow up). It’s a bit of a long process, but that’s because we are committed to creating a comfortable, effective fit for you!
- Sometimes poor oral health is due to gum disease or jaw problems, and we are qualified to diagnose and treat gum disease (sometimes called periodontitis) as well as muscle and jaw-structure difficulties such as TMJ/TMD.
Last, but not least, we offer a variety of cosmetic dentistry options including:
- Invisalign®. Invisalign® is a less noticeable orthodontic treatment option that corrects teeth using a series of clear alignment trays instead of the traditional bracket and wire braces. Depending on what kind of adjustment your teeth need as well as your work and schedule commitments, Invisalign® could be a good orthodontic option for you, and we will take time to discuss the pros and cons with you!
- Traditional braces are an option as well. You will have choices about the type of bracket most suitable to you, and together we’ll embark on the somewhat lengthy and sometimes tedious process of moving your teeth into the right position. The bright side of braces is fun of crafting your beautiful and best smile. Totally worth it!
- And speaking of smiles, if your smile is getting a little tired and yellowed, we do offer teeth whitening, to bring it back around!
We hope these posts have helped you understand your own oral health better as well as how we can partner with you to keep your smile happy and healthy. Never hesitate to comment or call us with questions – Peachtree City: (770) 604-1412; Newnan: (770) 629-0396.